Henderson Technology has been supplying Electronic Point of Sale (EPoS) systems since 1994. It is currently the largest supplier of EPoS in Northern Ireland, with over 450 retail sites in the province using systems supplied by the company.
The company has over 50 employees covering areas from installation, support and training, to development and testing. During 2010 and 2011, the company developed a new EPoS system for use in a wide range of retail environments (EDGEPoS). EDGEPoS was successfully piloted in March 2011, and went to market in July of the same year.
Since July, hundreds of systems have been sold and installed across Northern Ireland, making it one of the most successful EPoS product launches in recent times. As the company grows, it is already investigating other markets for the system across the globe.
Henderson Technology and EDGEPoS are truly a local success story with global ambitions.
We offer the ability to look after your point of sale software and hardware, including your retail technology requirements. The Henderson Technology team listens to the needs of customers and is continually adding new features and enhancements. We take the guess work out of your operational and management activities by providing innovative tools aimed at achieving business growth and customer satisfaction.
Henderson Technology also provides retail point of sale systems for merchants, small business owners and management that achieves streamlined processing of sales. With our professional support staff, Henderson Technology keeps your business on the cutting edge for point of sale processing, specifically designed for the Retail, convenience and Fuel industries.
Henderson Technology is part of the Henderson-Group of companies from the UK.
Hendersons began in the retail grocery business back in 1897 selling butter, cheese, and eggs at premises in the Old Lodge Road in Belfast. John Henderson was a well-known figure and frequently was a judge of cheese and butter at the annual Balmoral Show.
John ceased being a retailer by selling his products wholesale from premises at 46 Royal Avenue in Belfast. Some years later he moved to larger premises in St George’s Market in Belfast. St George’s was a traditional covered market with lock-up premises for all the wholesale dealers. In 1923 the business was incorporated as a limited company and the records show that sales were £99,000 in the first year of incorporation.
A few years earlier Mr William Adam Agnew inherited his father’s farm in Randalstown at the age of 19. Neither his brother nor sister, were interested in farming and he sold it after five years and worked in a variety of businesses in travel and public transport.
In 1929 William Agnew married Margaret the daughter of John and Maggie Henderson. In his late 70’s and with two daughters not interested in running the Henderson business, John decided to run down the business in preparation for retirement. This led to son-in-law William joining as a salesman in 1940 and taking a controlling interest when John Henderson retired in 1943. A few years later in 1947 John Henderson, founder of the company died at the age of 82.
William expanded the business and the range of products it sold. This was difficult as food was scarce during the war years and there was food rationing, so he started to bring in canned and packaged goods from countries as far away as Australia. This earned the company the catchphrase Henderson’s ‘Have it All’.
The business grew and required a further expansion of the premises at St Georges Market and a few years later Henderson’s took on an additional warehouse at Dawson Street, off the Antrim Road.
A key development however, was the acquisition of Andrew Millar & Company in 1956. They occupied a 50,000 sq ft warehouse at Ravenhill Avenue, Belfast.
Andrew Millar was a very old established jam manufacturing business formed in 1873, Millar jam had been a market leading product in the Province. Mass produced jam post war from the big companies meant that it was difficult to compete with the national companies and the jam production was ended after two or three years.
William Agnew had a son John and two daughters Margaret and Dorothy. John Agnew would join the firm in 1957 after he had been sent to South Wales as part of his management training from 1955 to 1957 at Capper & Co (Newport) Ltd.